Friday 30 March 2012

Conservative Commentary

Andrew Bolt is an Australian columnist who writes about politics and other general stuff.
A lot of his views I disagree with. That's not that big a deal. There are lots of people who I disagree with,but I can still get on with them.
But in Andrew Bolt's case, what really irks me is the fact he says a lot of stuff which I find annoying as well. If that makes sense........
So some stuff I'm going to write about on the blog will be in response to Bolt's posts. I don't expect anyone to actually read my posts, its more for myself to....erm...get my thoughts down on paper.
So the first thing is this post:
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/obama_plays_the_race_card/

  Basically, he's talking about President Obama's comments regarding the Trayvon Martin case, and how Obama is 'playing the racial card'
But I thing the problem with Bolt's  argument is that he's missing the issue at the heart of this case, which IS race. Its about how a young man can be shot dead without anyone caring. It is about how being a young adult wearing a hoodie and walking down the street can lead you to be labelled a 'delinquent'. It is also about the stereotyping of such individuals as possible criminals.
As well as this, I find it hilarious that Barack Obama can be accused of 'playing the race card' when the most recent example of race and Obama which I can thing of is the birth certificate issue, which was brought up other people not himself.
Basically what I'm trying to say is this: It's okay to make reasonable criticisms of politicians: For instance, I thing the fact that Guantanamo Bay is still open is a massive failing of Obama's. But that's the thing: it's a policy issue, not a personal issue. Accusing Obama of inciting racial tensions is ridiculous as the tensions were already there: The question at the heart of the case is whether or not the death was racially motivated, and that's what people are talking about. Even if Obama hadn't said what he said, people would still be talking about race.

woah, first real post. my ideas don't really seem  that coherent......

No comments:

Post a Comment